Certification FAQs

The following questions are frequently asked by teachers and administrators who are either seeking certification, renewal, or upgrade with FACCS. Simply click on the question below to which you need an answer.

If you have already looked through the Certification Manual and these FAQs and you still need further clarification, feel free to contact our office at 

What is the bare minimum I need to get certified with FACCS?

One can receive FACCS Temporary Teacher or Administrator Certificate with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited or FACCS approved college, university, or seminary. Please complete and submit a FACCS Application for Professional Educator Certification or Renewal and original college transcripts to the FACCS Office of Program Services.

Can I submit a copy of my college transcripts to FACCS for certification?

Yes. All transcripts submitted to FACCS may be either original documents OR photocopies made by your school directly from an original transcript. These copies must be signed as verification by the school administrator that the copies were made from the original.

How long does it take to get certified by FACCS?

Once all of the required paperwork (application, original college transcripts, ISP transcripts and certificates, Philosophy of Christian Education course certificate, evaluation fee, additional fees) has arrived in our office, it takes approximately 1 week to process a certificate. It does take longer if the applicant does not provide the appropriate paperwork with the application.

Where will my certificate be sent when FACCS is finished processing my application?

All correspondence concerning one’s certification process is directed to the school administrator or a designated staff development coordinator at the applicant's school. Please check with your administrator or staff development coordinator before calling FACCS to check the status of your application.

If I have a Temporary Certificate, how many ISPs do I need to get upgraded to a Professional Certificate?

None. If you hold a Temporary Certificate, it means that you were lacking some key element(s) necessary to achieve Professional Certification. When you received your Temporary Certificate it would have been accompanied by a Professional Certification Plan (PCP) which lists precisely what you need in order to upgrade your certificate to a Professional Certificate. Once you earn your Professional Certificate, then you may begin to accrue ISPs toward certificate renewal.

What qualifies as an “education” course as required on a PCP or for a subject area endorsement?

Education courses are courses that are educational in content and normally carry an education prefix in the course number (ex. ED-, EDU-, EDUC-). They are normally a part of an educational degree program, however it’s not uncommon for one to have taken educational courses in other majors as well. These can be taken at any college level as long as the college is accredited or FACCS approved. Courses that are “church” or “Sunday School” education in nature do not count as educational courses for certification purposes. We are looking for school educational courses.

What qualifies as a subject area course as required on a PCP or for a subject area endorsement?

Subject area courses are courses that are within the subject field being requested as a subject area endorsement. (ex. College Algebra, Statistics, analytical Geometry, etc would all apply to a Mathematics endorsement). They are normally a part of a degree program within that specific field, however it’s not uncommon for one to have taken subject area courses in other majors as well. These can be taken at any college level as long as the college is accredited or FACCS approved.

What is a FACCS Approved college?

A FACCS Approved college is any college that does not hold regional accreditation or accreditation from any other accepted accrediting agencies, but has met the three (3) letters of credit transfer policy. They have supplied to FACCS three (3) letters from accredited or other FACCS Approved colleges that state they accept credits from the college in question as transfer credits. The college must also prove that they do not permit more than six (6) hours of “life experience credit” for any given student. The following is a list of FACCS Approved Colleges:

  • Ambassador Baptist College - Lattimore, NC
  • Atlantic Baptist Bible College - Chester, VA 
    (now closed, but records can be obtained from Piedmont Int'l University www.piu.edu)
  • Baptist College of Ministry - Menomonee Falls, WI
  • Bethany College and Seminary - Dothan, AL
  • Crown College of the Bible - Powell, TN
  • Florida Baptist College - Tampa, FL
  • Hyles-Anderson College - Crown Point, IN
  • Landmark Baptist College - Haines City, FL
  • Louisiana Baptist University - Shreveport, LA (Education degrees only)
  • West Coast Baptist College - Lancaster, CA

If your college is not on this list, or is not accredited by the acceptable accrediting agencies as listed in the FACCS Teacher/Administrator Certification Manual, FACCS cannot accept degrees from your college toward teacher/administrator certification. Please contact your college and have them contact the FACCS Office of Program Services at 772-228-6205 or   for more information on becoming a FACCS Approved College.

When can I apply for FACCS Certification Renewal?

You can apply for your FACCS Certification Renewal anytime within 6 months before your current certificate expires. In other words, if your certificate expires on August 31st, you may submit your application between March 1st and August 31st. No earlier renewals will be accepted. If you wish to upgrade from a Temporary Certificate to a Professional Certificate and you have completed all the requirements listed on your Professional Certification Plan (PCP), you may apply for the upgrade at anytime. Please check the FACCS Certification Renewal box on the application - we know it is an upgrade, not technically a renewal.

my FACCS Certificate expires soon and I have not completed the required ISPs needed to renew. What can I do?

If your FACCS Certificate is about to expire, you may apply for a Certification Period Extension for 6 months or one (1) year to give you time to complete the requirements. Simply complete the application, check FACCS Certification Period Extension on the application, select the amount of time you wish to request, include the appropriate Extension Fee, and a reason for your request. This application MUST arrive on the Office of Program Services no later than your expiration date to receive the extension.

I allowed my FACCS certificate to expire within the last year. What do I do?

If your Temporary or Professional Certificate has expired, you may still apply for a Late Certification Renewal if it expired within one (1) year ago. Simply complete the application, check Late FACCS Certification Renewal on the application, include all ISP and course transcripts, and include both the standard evaluation fee and the Late Filing Fee.

My FACCS certificate expired over one year ago. What can I do to get reinstated?

If your Professional Certificate has expired over one (1) year ago, you may apply for a Certification Reinstatement. Simply complete the application, check FACCS Certification Reinstatement on the application, include all ISP and course transcripts, and include both the standard evaluation fee and the Late Filing Fee. You will be issued a Reinstated Professional Certificate with restrictions. See the Certification Program Manual for more details. This option is NOT available to Temporary or Provisional Certificate holders who allowed their certification to expire over one (1) year ago.

What if I let my Provisional Certificate expire? Can I renew it?

Sorry, but you may not renew it. A Provisional Certificate is a special certificate issued after the 1999 Certification Revision that permitted previously certified teachers who did not hold a Bachelor’s degree to continue certification within certain provisions. One of those provisions was that you would not allow the certificate to expire. Therefore, you have lost your FACCS certification status and must apply for an initial certificate under the current FACCS Certification guidelines and policies.

What is an ISP?

An ISP is an In-service Point which equals one (1) contact hour of professional development training. Technically, one (1) contact hour of professional development training is equivalent to a fifty (50) minute session. To renew a Professional Certificate, you need 120 ISPs accrued within your certification period. FACCS no longer uses the CEU designation for professional development.

How do I get an in-service opportunity approved for CEU or ISP credit?

All ISP approvals are handled through the Master Inservice Program. Before you take the course or seminar, provide your school administrator or school in-service coordinator with all the following information about the seminar: title, date, location, host organization, instructor name and credentials, and length of instructional sessions.

If I take college courses toward FACCS Certificate Renewal, do I need to submit the college credits to the Master In-service Program for approval or accrual?

No. Any college courses taken as professional development toward FACCS Certificate Renewal are not to be submitted to the Master Inservice Program. They should be reported to FACCS upon application for renewal by submitting an original transcript for each college where courses were taken.

If I teach a college course, will it count as professional development toward my certificate renewal?

Yes. However the course must be educational in nature. (ex. Introduction to Education, Secondary Teaching Methods, Teaching Elementary Math, etc.) Submit the course information and a letter from the college dean certifying that you taught the course to the Master Inservice Program. Each semester credit hour taught will earn you 20 ISPs. A course may be submitted to Master Inservice Program only one time, regardless of how many times you teach the course.

What if my school is not a member of Master In-service Program? Can I still submit CEUs and ISPs for renewal?

No. If your school is a participant or accredited member of FACCS and one (1) or more faculty members are FACCS certified, the school is REQUIRED to join the Master Inservice Program on an annual basis and use the service to approve and accrue ISPs for all faculty members. FACCS will not accept ISPs directly from a certificate holder who is employed by a FACCS member school.

I am no longer a teacher at a FACCS participant member or accredited school. Can I still maintain my FACCS certification?

Yes. However, you will not have the privilege of having ISPs approved or accrued by the Master Inservice Program. You will need to submit ISP approvals directly to the FACCS Office of Program Services. Upon certificate renewal, submit to FACCS your Master Inservice Program transcript (ISPs accrued when you were employed by a FACCS school), certificates of completion of ISP seminars, and any original college transcripts. You can apply for Certification Period Extensions and Late Certification Renewal, however you cannot apply for Certification Reinstatement if you are not employed by an FACCS member school.

do on-campus professional development activities count toward FACCS certification renewal for our teachers?

Any type of on-campus professional development that is held in a seminar format with a qualified instructor (Master’s degree or higher and expert in the field) and last for at least one (1) contact hour can count toward certification renewal. Each should be submitted to the Master Inservice Program before the seminar is held.

If I take a professional development course online or through distance education, can it count toward certification renewal?

Yes, but with some restrictions. Online and distance education professional development must contain some type of product to be produced by the teacher. Each should be submitted to the Master Inservice Program before the seminar is held to be sure it will count.

Does The MASTER Teacher Learning Network for Professional Teacher Development™ brochure program count toward FACCS certification renewal?

Yes, however you must complete the online elements (test and self-reflection exercise) and provide a transcript from the program to the Master Inservice Program. Each course will equal one (1) ISP. Note, a maximum of twenty-four (24) ISPs from this program will be accepted toward a teacher’s certification renewal in a certification period.

Can I take the FTCE or the FDOE FELE in lieu of completing 18 semester hours in my endorsement area or educational administration?

Yes. You will need to provide proof of completion and passing of these exams.

How should I send my certification application and required documents to FACCS?

If you are completing the application online, all documents are to be scanned and emailed to the Office of Program Services.
If you are completing the application by mail, all applications and documents, including transcripts, should be sent via standard or Priority Mail to the Office of Program Services in Hobe Sound, FL.You may send it via Express Mail or via a delivery service like UPS, FedEx, or DSL; however, please waive the signature requirement. DO NOT send paperwork via Certified Mail.

What kinds of college accreditation does FACCS accept toward initial certification?

FACCS accepts degrees and courses from any college, university, or seminary that is accredited by any of the following:

    • Middle States Association Of Colleges And Schools
    • New England Association Of Schools And Colleges
    • North Central Association Of Colleges And Schools - AdvancED
    • Northwest Commission On Colleges And Universities
    • Southern Association Of Colleges And Schools - AdvancED
    • Western Association Of Schools And Colleges
    • NCPSA (National Council for Private School Accreditation)
    • NCATE (National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education) – www.ncate.org
    • TRACS (The Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools) - www.tracs.org
    • ABHE (The Association for Biblical Higher Education) – www.abhe.org
    • ATS (The Association of Theological Schools) - www.ats.edu
    • DETC (The Distance Education Training Council) - www.detc.org
    • ACCSC (Accrediting Commission of Career Colleges and Schools) - www.accsc.org